Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Inspirations

I love hearing stories about people who start out as "small people" and become something great. It just gives me warm fuzzy feelings, haha. Here are some of my recent faves:

JAPADOG: Japadog was started by a Japanese couple who moved to Vancouver in 2005. The husband was an ad salesman in Japan and had big dreams of opening a crepe cart here in the city. He faced many obstacles but kept working hard... soon the Japadog was born and it became one of the most popular carts in downtown Vancouver. Two weeks ago, they were able to upgrade their humble hot dog carts to a restaurant!



CHARICE PEMPENGCO: This story is close to my heart since she's from my home - The Philippines. Small town girl, big voice - turned down many times and faced adversity, but again... she never gave up and look at her now! Signed with David Foster, singing with Celine Dion, on Oprah, and now has her own songs that are internationally known!

photo from google search of "charice pempengco"

JAYESSLEE: Some of you may have heard of them or watched their videos on YouTube. These Korean twin sisters are some of the most humble singers I have known of. They just did what they loved to do - sing...now their videos are reaching more than 3 million views! Watch them here: www.youtube.com/user/jayesslee

FOREVER21: We all know them, we've all probably shopped there at least once but did you know that it started with a couple who migrated from South Korea to LA? They started out with a 900 sq foot store and now they are worldwide with over 400 stores!

What is your favourite "zero to hero" story?

13 comments:

Yelena R. said...

Jayesslee are AMAZING...seriously so much talent.
p.s. I'm totally drooling because of those hot dogs right now...

Denysia Yu said...

Those hot dogs look really good! I wish we could get those here! Now your making me want to visit Canada! :)

I just recently subscribed to Jayesslee!

Juli said...

Lol I didn't know you were Filipino o: me too o: well half lol.

I like Charice's song with Iyaz :]

Those hot dogs look awesome D: there's this hot dog place that recently opened INSIDE A FROZEN YOGURT PLACE, right by me hahaha. they needed something to make up for the lack of customers during the cold winter months! Berkley dog! i've yet to try it :p

izumi said...

love this "overcame adversity" entry!! the jap dogs sound amaaaaaaaaazing.

DinaXYYan said...

I love hearing stories like this too. Charice is awesome, she even showed up in a movie too :D

Becks said...

I've seen and heard about Japadog a lot, but have yet to try them. It may have to be put on my "to do list" this summer.

Trish said...

i want those japanese hot dogs! i saw them somewhere else on tv & wanted to try them ever since

krissy ♥ said...

I didn't know that that's the back-story of Forever21! Amazing :) They're opening their first store here in Manila and I am so excited! :D

ochikeron said...

Wow! I gotta follow this blog!!!

I love your personal posts because it is interesting to read what makes you that creative in your business, you know ;)

Keep up your posts!!!

Nikolett said...

Aww, makes me feel proud to see people rise up and get the attention they deserve - I remember watching vids of Charice on Oprah and thinking, "Whoa, she HAS to go far." And I had no clue about the background of Forever21! I think my favourite "zero to hero" story will be Kym, deciding to make witty and adorable t-shirts and becoming an awesome lady spreading her creations far and wide :DDDDD *huuugs*

Curly said...

Lovely!!! one works hard and gets rewarded! It doesn't happen so often, but it's good to know that it can happen!

Karen said...

These stories are amazing. :)

TG said...

I love Jayeslee, so cool. They sing really great. Thanks for this, haha. I only wish I had a Japadog now :)